In the frenzy of shopping for Christmas gifts, remember to think about child safety. Don’t assume that a toy is safe just because it is on the toy store shelves. There are a range of popular toys that can seriously injure or even kill children.
There are thousands of avoidable toy-related injuries each year. The toy industry does not always put children’s safety before profits.
Every year before Christmas, a non-profit organization known as the World Against Toys Causing Harm (W.A.T.C.H.) compiles a list the most dangerous toys on the market based on a review of the most recent childhood injury and fatality statistics.
Their top ten most hazardous toys for 2017 are:
1. Fidget spinners contain small parts that can be a choking hazard to children
2. Pull Along Pony, which has a 19-inch cord, raises concerns of strangulation in children of all ages
3. Heel Wheels are strapped to kids’ shoes as roller skates, but pose a burn risk because they include ‘real sparking action’.
4. Slackline, a toy meant to hang between tow trees, can lead to severe injury and death.
5. The Wonder Woman sword could potentially cause blunt-force and bodily injuries.
6. Itty Bittys Baby Stacking Toy includes small and larger rings that pose a risk of strangulation and suffocation.
7. The Oval Xylophone includes a wooden stick that may cause bodily injury.
8. ‘Zombie Strike’ crossbow raises the risk of eye and face injuries with its pressurized pull back lever.
9. The Spider-Man drone includes multiple rotating blades that can lead to eye and other bodily injuries.
10. Brianna Babydoll is a potential choking hazard as it includes small accessories.