Attorney Melanie Fahey graduated from the University of Dayton summa cum laude with a Bachelor of Arts in 1990, with a double major in international studies and political science. She then attended Harvard Law School, graduating cum laude in 1993. She returned to her home state of Ohio and was admitted to the practice of law in November of 1993.
Melanie began her legal career in the public sector, serving as an assistant attorney general in the Environmental Enforcement Section of the Ohio Attorney General's Office, representing both the Ohio Department of Natural Resources and the Ohio EPA at the trial level and on appeal. She continued her career in litigation by joining the Columbus office of Jones, Day, Reavis & Pogue and enjoyed practicing in a variety of substantive areas, including products liability, taxation, and bankruptcy.
Most recently, Melanie served as staff attorney and magistrate in the Richland County Common Pleas Court, where she worked on a wide variety of cases, covering topics such as breach of contract, negligence, property disputes, foreclosures, products liability, personal injury, workers' compensation, and employment discrimination. She has also continued to pursue her academic interests in international studies and political science by teaching as an adjunct professor at North Central State College and The Ohio State University.
After law school, Melanie earned her Master’s degree in Pastoral Studies and has served her church as a minister in youth ministry, social justice ministry, and as a teacher in the religious education program. Melanie is a member of the Ohio Bar Association’s Animal Law Committee and the Animal Legal Defense Fund. She has served on school and community theater boards, is currently the President-Elect of CACY (Community Action for Capable Youth), and is the Secretary of the Richland County Law Library Resources Board. Melanie enjoys nature, animals, and spending time with her two sons.
- Ohio, 1993
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio, 1994
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio, 2017
- United States Supreme Court, 2018
- Loyola Institute for Ministry (M.P.S. 2000)
- Harvard University Law School: Cambridge, Massachusetts (J.D. cum laude, 1993)
- University of Dayton: Dayton, Ohio (B.A. summa cum laude, 1990)
- Adjunct Professor, North Central State College
- Adjunct Professor, The Ohio State University
- Richland County Common Pleas Court, Magistrate and Staff Attorney, 2007-2015
- Jones, Day, Reavis & Pogue, Associate, 1995-1999
- Ohio Attorney General's Office, Assistant Attorney General, 1993-1995
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Richland County Bar Association
- Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity, International
- Ohio Association for Justice
- American Association for Justice
- Federal Bar Association