Mansfield Dog Bite Lawyer
Mansfield dog bite attacks are more common than you may think. You could be visiting a friend, playing with your family member’s dog, or merely walking near someone else’s dog on the street, when a dog can feel threatened, agitated, or protective of their owner, leading to a painful dog bite for the victim. When a dog causes someone harm, their owner or handler should be held accountable to guard against future attacks.
The attorneys at Rinehardt Injury Attorneys have been representing the interests of the people of Mansfield for years. Our experience means that we understand the financial strain that serious injuries like dog bites can cause for victims and their families, and we’re ready to advocate on your behalf in court. It’s also why we don’t charge you a cent unless we win your case.
Dog Bite Cases We Handle
If you sustain a dog bite, your injury can vary widely from smaller puncture marks to deep wounds and even disfigurement. If a dog has injured you, you deserve quality representation that will help you recover expenses related to your injuries.
All dog bites are classed in different stages based on their severity. The National Center for Biotechnology Information provides the following information about the classes of dog bite wounds:
- Stage I – A more superficial injury that hasn’t cut into the musculature. Even though these wounds are the least severe, they can still become infected.
- Stage II – A deep wound that affects muscle. These injuries are typically painful and require medical attention.
- Stage III – A severe wound that affects the muscle and features either tissue loss or tissue necrosis.
- Stage IVA – A severe wound that affects the muscle, tissue, and nerves. Nerve damage can cause permanent loss of feeling or function to the affected limbs.
- Stage IVB – A severe wound that affects the muscle, soft tissue, nerves, and bone. Dog bites that pierce down to the bone are extremely serious and require immediate medical intervention.
If a dog has bitten you, seek medical help as soon as possible. Though the vast majority of bites are from domestic pets, who are treated for rabies, you want to be sure. Ask a doctor to confirm the state of your injury, then call Rinehardt Injury Attorneys.
Dog Bite Statistics
According to the Centers for Disease Control, about 4.5 million dog bites occur each year, and about one in five wounds become infected.
However, most dogs exhibit one or the following behaviors before they bite:
- A dog gets up and moves or looks away from a child
- A dog looks at you with a pleading expression, and you can see the whites of his eyes
- A dog yawns or licks his chops when approaching or interacting with it
- A dog starts suddenly scratching, licking, or biting himself
These signs can be subtle and are easy to miss, but be wary. You might want to approach a dog with these signs to comfort him, but that’s often when dog bites occur.
Dog Bite FAQ
- Seek Medical Attention – Dog bites can break the skin and cause infections, so it’s important to see a physician and get proper wound cleaning and care. Save all of the paperwork from this clinical visit as evidence.
- Document Details of the Attack – Make sure to write down as much information about the attack and the dog owner as you can: Location, Homeowner’s Name & Contact Information, and the dog owner’s Homeowner’s or Renter’s Insurance (if applicable). All of this information will be very helpful when pursuing a legal dog bite claim.
- Contact Your Local Authorities – Filing an official police report is a key documentation that will contain details of the dog bite incident and is an important piece of evidence in court. After an attack, the victim must report the attack to the local health commissioner within 24 hours. Veterinarians that treat dogs involved in a bite or attack are also required to report the attack.
- Get Help From a Dog Bite Lawyer in Mansfield – Now that you’ve taken the necessary steps to treat your wounds and after a dog bite, you’ll need a team of experienced dog bite lawyers to make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
Why Choose Rinehardt Injury Attorneys to Handle My Case?
Our skilled legal team has won millions of dollars for accident victims who’ve needed it most. We approach each Mansfield personal injury case with compassion and unmatched attention to detail. If you’ve been the victim of a dog bite injury, take the steps to hold the owner of the dog legally accountable. Don’t shrug off your injuries if you’ve been hurt: call our Mansfield dog bite attorneys at 419-529-2020.