Columbus Chemical Exposure Attorneys

Chemicals of all types are used in many different occupations, from restaurants and nursing homes to warehouses and farms. Some of these acids and cleaning agents have a high risk of injury and death for the employees who handle them. An estimated 12% of the occupational fatalities in 2011 were from chemical exposure, and this can be due to a negligent employer not taking proper steps to ensure a safe environment, or due to the chemical company mislabeling products.

94% of occupational chemical injuries are considered “simple exposure”, which is direct contact such as skin exposure, inhalation, or ingestion of a chemical. The other 6% of chemical injuries are from incidental exposures from explosions or contact with contaminated equipment. According to a study from the Bureau of Labor Statistics and OSHA from 1992-2006, almost 88% of all chemical injuries involve the eyes, body systems, and upper extremities.

In this study, 30% of the occupational injuries over the study period was to the eyes. Alkali burns, the most severe, cause permanent injury to both the internal and external areas of the eye. Acid burns generally affect only the outer portions of the eye, and irritants typically only cause discomfort, rather than permanent damage. Depending on the chemical, there can also be long-term damage to the respiratory, renal, cardiovascular, nervous, and immune systems. The hands, arms, and torso are often at high risk for chemical injuries—most often seen in the form of chemical burns from the chemicals being handled by the employee. The majority of these injuries have serious, long-term implications for the victims, such as permanent disability and cancer.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has strict regulations for employers regarding the handling and exposure to chemicals. If an employer does not provide the proper safety protection for their employees from chemicals while at work, they may be liable for any chemical injury that occurs. Since these injuries are often severe, the financial cost may be substantial and workers need to obtain legal representation. Losses that the employer can be responsible for can include medical costs, lost wages, rehabilitation, and/or plastic surgery.

Not only can employers be held responsible for chemical injuries, but many chemical companies mislabel their products, or purposefully do not include certain substances included in the ingredients of their chemicals. If this is the case, and an employee (or employer) suffers an injury due to the negligence of the company, the company should be held liable. Lawsuits against companies like this could prevent future injuries from happening to other workers, and the Columbus chemical exposure lawyers here at Rinehardt Injury Attorneys invite you to call and meet with us today.

After a personal injury accident of any kind, it is important to contact an attorney immediately after seeing a doctor, even if you are not sure if you need an attorney. In Ohio, the statute of limitations for personal injury cases is 2 years from the date of the accident, and the sooner that the injured party contacts an attorney, the better chances the team will have at settling a case in your favor. The injury, according to OSHA, must be work related, a new case, and results in time away from your usual job. The team of workplace injury lawyers of Rinehardt Injury Attorneys has decades of experience in personal injury cases and is here to help you in your time of need.

Chemical Exposure Attorneys in Columbus, OH

Rinehardt Injury Attorneys is the answer to your personal injury. Our team of attorneys and case managers have represented clients in in Columbus and throughout central and north central Ohio for years. We treat every new client as if they were part of our family by providing clear communication, building a strong relationship, and using our experience to provide legal guidance that’s in their best interests. We offer free consultations with no obligation, so don’t hesitate to contact our team about your legal matter.

Columbus Office

Rinehardt Injury Attorneys
8351 N. High St, Ste 251,
Columbus, OH 43235
Phone Number: (614) 686-2020
Get Directions

Ready to get Started?

We’re here to help you and your family get back on track after an accident. Reach out to us today for a free case evaluation.

Million Dollar Advocates Form Logo
National Board of Trial Advocacy Badge
Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Form Logo
Injury Board Logo
American Association for Justice logo
Martin-Hubbell AV-Preeminent logo
SuperLawyers Clevland top 50 logo
SuperLawyers John K. Rinehardt 5 years
SuperLawyers Clevland top 100 logo
The National Trial Lawyers